Saturday, March 28, 2009

final thoughts, week funf.

I just finished One Hundred Years of Solitude today, and I must say, I was very pleased with the ending. I really appreciate it when an author can compose a satisfying ending, because so many times I feel like they are insufficient. It did leave me asking, however, were Melquiades parchments the novel itself, and we have been reading the entire time the history that he wrote? Or are these separate? It would be more exciting, I think, if they were the parchments themselves. 
I also liked, in a sad way, how we witness the entirety of the Buendia family line, from Jose Arcadio Buendia to the last Aureliano. However, that can't really be true, because of course Jose Arcadio Buendia had to have ancestors as well. Still, it makes the realm of the book have more meaning and feel more complete, and less random. One of the things that the novel brings up consistently is how history repeats itself. It would be interesting to discover if this really happened as much in real life. People don't really name their children repeatedly the same things all that often, though. 
I enjoyed reading One Hundred Years of Solitude. It was beautifully written and I loved how we saw the creation, progression, and ultimate destruction of Macondo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment